Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Five items

I have quite a bit of junk rolling around in my head today.  Nothing important, really.  

  1. I’d like to make a spinach quiche for dinner.  

  2. I’m hoping my book and DVDs arrive at the library today so Maeve and I can head over there this afternoon to pick them up.

  3. I had an interesting dream last night.  

  4. I’m working through an internal dialogue about a good friend who may be making a terrible mistake.

  5. My husband rocks and I need to figure out some solid ways to let him know.

Ok.  Item number one.  I just found a great recipe on Allrecipes.com.  Problem solved and I already have all the ingredients.  The recipe calls for light mayo and I only have full strength but I think it will be ok.  Light mayo is for saps.

Number two.  I’m waiting for a book called Ordinary Wolves that my dad recommended.  I can’t always keep up with Dad’s choices in books.  He’s a real smarty-pants.  The last time I visited my folks (Maeve’s first airplane ride and first trip to Colorado!!) I read the prologue of Ordinary Wolves and was hooked.  Our little library didn’t have it so I requested it be transferred from the main library.  I finished River Angel last week and I was going crazy without something so I started A Star Called Henry by Roddy Doyle, one of my all time favorites, last night while taking a lovely, steamy, vanilla bath.  I’m hoping I can get through it in the next couple of days before Ordinary Wolves arrives.  Otherwise, knowing me, I’ll never finish it.  

Number three.  If you intend to follow my blog you’ll soon discover I am a prolific dreamer.  My dreams are intense, memorable, and frequent.  I dream like a child.  Last night I dreamed I was going home (Northern Ireland) to visit my grandparents, both of whom died last year.  In this dream, my parents lived within driving distance of us in some non-descript location that reminded me a little of the area of Massachusetts where we lived several years ago.  Anyway, I was having loads of anxiety about leaving Maeve for the week.  She was to stay with my Mom and Dad.  I didn’t have any pumped milk for her (a constant source of anxiety in my real life) and I was nervous about the effect being away from her for the week would have on my milk supply.  Even though Maeve eats bananas at lunch and rice cereal at dinner she still nurses like ten times a day.  Breast milk is still her number one source of sustenance by far.  So, in my dream we discussed introducing dreaded formula in my absence, something I’m vehemently opposed to in the real world.  So I’d packed for the trip and was ready to head to the airport for my ATA flight (I never fly ATA in the real world) but I’d forgotten to pack the breast pump.  We had to go all the way back to Mom and Dad’s because I’d left the pump there, along with all my favorite jeans which I needed for the trip, and I hadn’t kissed Maeve goodbye.  I was so distraught that I asked my dad to call ATA and ask them if I could just bring Maeve along.  Dad said they wouldn’t let me but Mom would fly over with M in a few days.  I cried.  It was already 11:45 a.m. and my flight was scheduled to depart at 1:30.  I would never make it.  Dad said everything would be fine.  So I went.  

The only thing I can take away from this dream, other than the fact that I desperately love my daughter, is that my dad still has the power to make everything ok.  I called him yesterday to tell him about Maeve’s banana poop.  I was afraid I was feeding her too soon and that she was just pooping it all out.  He’s a PhD in chemistry.  He knows stuff.  He said she was just fine.  In my dream I feared I would miss my flight.  I can do math.  I know what time you should arrive at the airport for an international flight.  I can tell time.  Yet in my dream, if Dad said I would make it, then I believed him.  It’s a nice feeling.  Between my dad and my husband, I’ll always be ok.  

Number four.  I’m not ready to get into this one yet.

Number five.  Last night Zack dealt with a howling, inconsolable baby for 45 minutes while I soaked in the tub and finished that bottle of Pinot Grigio.  He’s such a trooper.  He’s a hero.  I’m so proud of him.  I’m so proud to be his wife.  Dr. Phil said that men need to know that their women are proud of them.  (That’s right… I’m a Dr. Phil fan.  I’m not ashamed.)  When M. and I went to Colorado I left Zack a love letter under his pillow.  We had a rough night with Maeve the night before I left.  M. had a complete meltdown and, out of sheer frustration, I yelled at Zack.  In the letter I told him how deeply I love him and apologized for being mean.  I told him that we’re teammates and we can take over the world if we do it together.  I truly want to start each day thinking of a way to make Zack’s world better, a little at a time.  He rules.  

So I’ve posted pictures of the whole family.  Enjoy.  

2 Comments:

Blogger posthumous said...

Thanks for #5. I have a similar problem, and I'm always looking for ideas!

September 28, 2005 3:27 PM  
Blogger Kent said...

Regarding #5: The world would be a much better place if more women were like you.

September 28, 2005 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home