Saturday, September 24, 2005

Maiden voyage to Blogville

One’s first entry into a brand new blog is a rather daunting task.  Although I have little reason to believe this text will ever be read by anyone other than me, one click of that ‘random blog’ button and my life (and grammar) is suddenly up for public scrutiny!  Ahhh well; what the hell.

So I’m 29, married, and have an almost five month old little girl.  My delightfully Midwestern, formerly Catholic, smart, silly husband’s name is Zack.  Our little one is called Maeve which, incidentally I think would be a great name for a hurricane.  Let me tell you, her flood waters have breached many a levy!  We share our little old house with two big dogs, Molly and Reese, and a little black cat, Maggie.  Molly is a complete nutter and desperately devoted to my husband.  Reese and I are like ET and Elliot.  Maggie is a foot soldier of the devil, whom everyone in the house adores.  

Five short years ago, I entered the world of The Young Professionals only to recently discover that The Young Professionals are actually overgrown frat boys in Ferragamo shoes.  I began my career as a recruiter then morphed into the sales role a couple of years later because “that’s where the money is.”  Well, I made it – a LOT of it.  Too much, in fact.  Soon the novelty wore off and I realized that, contrary to our corporate culture, money isn’t everything. I returned to the recruiting world where I could, God forbid, do a little something for my fellow man.  I’m lucky I wasn’t fired for that sentiment alone.  Anyway, I remained a dedicated recruiter until April of this year when I happily accepted the news from my OB that it was time for a little rest before Maeve’s arrival.  I spent the rest of April and the early part of May reading books and getting freckles in our backyard while my belly swelled to Guinness Book proportions.  

We sold our house (which we now refer to as “the Big house”) and moved to a lovely little historic neighborhood on the city’s eastside, hoping that the downsizing would afford us a fairly smooth transition into a single income household.  Yeah, right.  

So I have officially become a Stay at Home Mom, or a SAHM as it’s referred to on the internet.  I joined a Yahoo! Moms’ group and everything!  I don’t drive a minivan just yet.  For that matter, I don’t really drive my car at all since I literally need a part time job to fill that gigantic gas tank.  Nonetheless, I am SAHM.  It’s been a hell of a change.  I could never have been prepared for motherhood and staying home and all this business no matter who I talked to or what I read.  One really does have to quite literally just jump in with both feet.  

And so this brings me to my blog.  I have much to say… all the time.  I’ve tried just prattling on to Maeve but, quite frankly, I don’t think Maeve gives much of a shit that I’m currently debating ditching Republicanism for Libertarianism, nor does she care about the book I’m reading or what I’m making for dinner, nor does she care about how mad I get at fat people, complete with O2 tanks, in motorized grocery carts loaded up with Hamburger Helper and Carl Budding lunch meat and big boxes of Velveeta, nor does she care that I have some serious opinions about religion that Zack is just sick to death of hearing.  So, I’m going to write it down.  

Baby is awake.  Signing off.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home