Thursday, April 13, 2006

Sassy, Sadie-mouse

So, my darling friend, Sarah, insisted that, after my lengthy absence, I must blog once more. I explained to her that all my great inspiration came from countless hours rocking Maeve in the dark, during our long nights. I don’t do that anymore (yea for co-sleeping!!), so now I’m useless to Blogdom. This answer did not suffice dearest Sarabelle. I said, “Fine. Pick a topic and I’ll write about it.” I was thinking she’d suggest something like… the thing I miss least about being a working woman, or my greatest cooking disaster, or a fond memory from college, or a funny poop story about Maeve, or even a funny poop story about Zack. But NO!! Sarah says, “How about you write about how to raise and discipline a wonderfully outgoing and stubborn child without breaking her spirit?” Sure! No problem! I’ll get right on that! I scrubbed the bathtub heartily trying to find my muse….

So I’ve been thinking about sweet, sassy Sadie and the road Sarah has ahead. I smile only because in my heart of hearts I know Maeve will be mustard, just like Sadie. These gorgeous, wide-eyed, brave and curious little girls are destined to grow into precocious and fearless young women. God help us.

As I said to Sarah on the phone when she brought up this profound and wondrous topic, I am confident that these dynamic and lively little spirits are resilient and unbreakable. So our challenge as mothers will be to corral them enough to keep them safe, yet give them the freedom to embrace their authentic selves*. Does it all come down to a girl’s self-esteem? Or is about her sense of security at home? Her relationship with Mom or Dad? Damn it, Sarah, I don’t know! What I do know is this: Sadie and Maeve are so loved that sometimes it makes us faint. When we watch them make decisions, like choosing watermelon over grapes, or peek-a-blocks over Mister Potato Head, our stomachs get fluttery. When then extend their little arms in hopes of being picked up, we find no greater feeling than being needed by our daughters. We tell them we love them and we mean it, earnestly. And when they refuse to take their medicine, wake up for the third time in as many hours, or empty the contents of the Tupperware drawer all over the kitchen for the zillionth time today, we will sigh, and still love them. This is what will save them from themselves.

*”authentic selves” courtesy of, and used without the consent, of His Lordship, Dr. Phil

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I emailed you but wanted to post, as I am the requestor of this entry.

1) There is no answer on here. I was hoping for a formula of some sort:
Love + cookies when requested = I will take a nap every day
or something to that effect, but no.
2) Now I have to think about what I have to change in me! Damn it all!

So, I have to realize the following, which is odd that in the 2 years I have been parenting, have hit me like a softball in the head numerous times. It has been several months since it has hit me though, so it is time I once again realize:

It is not all about ME. I chose to be a parent. I therefore, have chosen, to have my routine upset religiously and without fail on numerous occasions every day. Sadie doesn't nap, oh well. Sadie throws her entire lunch on the floor, oh well. Life could be worse.

So I state my new philosophy:
A. I shall stay up later to get things accomplished for the day that I feel absolutely must be done, and to hell with the rest of it.
B. I will take much greater pleasure in my daugther in general. I get too wrapped up in worrying about everything, that I am not thoroughly experiencing all this Stay-At-Home-Mom business has to offer.
C. I will revel in dirt the rest of the spring and summer.
D. I will take more of Corrina's advice, primarily, alcholo consumption.

Love you Corrina! Come over Monday to play.

April 13, 2006 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home